Tuesday 10 May 2011

Diving for work

Yes, it's true.  I think I had my first real hard day's work here (honestly!).  We went out today to do our lobster survey in Tortuga Bay.  Basically, we have a big mesh blob chained to the ocean floor, and that's an ideal place for lobster larvae to inhabit while they are 'itsy-bitsy'.  So we leave this thing there for perhaps a month, let things gather, and then bring it up and shake it out to see what's inside.  Mostly, we are looking for an estimate of how the lobster population is doing.  Then the mesh blob has to be taken back down and chained to the sea floor again, and there are about 2-3 of these in each location.  That's a lot of up and down! (no jokes please...)

 

I've been given a bike here, so I can get from the park to town 'muy facil' now.  I'm fitting in like a local, I already know where in town the bike lane changes from one side of the road to the other (a seemingly unimportant detail until you realize that pedestrains and bikes definately have NO right of way here).  Also, Mum and Dad, since you wanted to know what my 'digs' were like, I've thrown in a few more pics for you guys.  This is the house I live in, we have a washer/dryer, that's just my dive gear on the line outside....  Like I said, liveable, but nothing fancy.  Besos y abrazos de Galapagos! 

1 comment:

  1. I was going to start by saying I hate you....but I guess I'm just envious of the fabulous summer you are having! Enjoy!!!! luv, SHJ

    ReplyDelete